Spending the holidays at the Oregon Coast connects you with nature like no other place. One minute you might get a front row seat to an offshore storm, the next you’re basking in the sunshine on the beach or beside the bay. Gaze up at sky light up with starlight, brighter than lights on any tree. And of course, nothing can beat the scrumptious bounty available for meals: cheese and ice cream made from local dairy milk, fresh Dungeness crab, salmon and steelhead, oysters and clams, and fresh-from-the-farm produce.
There are also lots of events to keep family and friends entertained. Here are the top holiday happenings on the Tillamook Coast:
1. Holiday buffets at the Pelican Pub. Thanksgiving and Christmas Day.
Just one year, wouldn’t you like someone else to cook the holiday dinners, and even clean up afterward? Get thee to Pelican Pub in Pacific City, where they will layout a scrumptious buffet, and you don’t have to lift a finger except to pick up your fork. And the seasonal beer is “Bad Santa.” What could be better?
2. Ugly sweater contest for guests of the Inn at Cape Kiwanda. Do you own a jaw-dropping, cringe-worthy sweater only your Aunt Mildred would find cute? Stay at the Inn at Cape Kiwanda anytime during Dec. 13th – 25th, wear your sweater, and the inn will take your picture. The one that receives the most Likes on Facebook will receive a $25 Pelican Pub gift card.
3. Candy Cane Express, weekends starting in December. Take a ride with Santa on the historic Oregon Coast Scenic Railroad, enjoy hot cocoa and cookies on the train between Garibaldi and Rockaway. For schedules, visit OCSR – Special Excursions
4. Festival of Trees at Tillamook Pioneer Museum. Twinkling, decorated trees are on display, and a gala event on Dec. 11 is a fundraiser for the museum. For more information and tickets to the gala, visit Festival of Trees.
5. Tillamook Light Parade. The town of Tillamook is all aglow with decorations, tree lighting, Santa Claus and a Light Parade on Dec. 5.
6. Holiday Bazaars Throughout the Tillamook Coast.
The holidays are in full swing and it’s time to find the perfect gift for your loved ones. Tillamook Coast has got you covered with a wealth of holiday bazaars. On Dec. 4th & 5th, you’ll find the Christmas Bazaar at the Tillamook Nazarene Church. There plenty of shopping opportunities at the Three Village Affaire during the Thanksgiving weekend. Rockaway Beach features the Bazaar and Bake Sale at the Lions Club Building on Nov. 29th.
7. Tree lighting Events throughout the Tillamook Coast.
Celebrate the changing of the seasons and join in the fun at one of the many tree lighting events on the Tillamook Coast. Join the festivities and ornament making at the Rockaway Beach Wayside on Friday, Nov. 27th, 2015. Manzanita, kicks off the season with their Tree Lighting on Friday, Nov. 27th. Be sure to join us in Tillamook on Dec. 5th for their popular tree lighting ceremony and festivities.
8. Wreath making at the Tillamook Forest Center, Nov. 27-29
Bring the beauty of the forest home by creating a winter wreath from natural materials. Children will also be able to make cone bird feeders and other small items. All materials and supplies are included in the cost of the class [$15 wreaths & $5 cone bird feeders]. Registration is required by Sunday Nov. 22. Email email@example.com with the names of all people attending.
9. Three Village Affaire, Nov. 27 – 29 in Manzanita, Nehalem and Wheeler. Tree lighting, caroling, Santa Claus visit, kids’ night, arts and crafts bazaar and more. For details, call April at (503) 368-3792.
10. Polar Express at the Tillamook Coliseum Theater.
Kids and adults alike, make sure to not miss the special four day showing of the Polar Express at the Tillamook Coliseum, Dec 11th – 14th. Get your ticket punched and get hot chocolate. After the movie, meet with Santa. This is the Polar Express like you’ve never experienced it before.